Here is my “little” list of different things which I have found beneficial in my BK lifestyle. Out of experience. Thought it could be beneficial to share these items.
1) Acknowledge the body. We are souls, but we express and experience through a body. This body is invaluable now, for it will allow us to settle our karmic accounts.
2) Acknowledge your emotions. There is nothing wrong in feeling love for someone or for many. What you feel is… what you feel. Acknowledge it, accept it and refine your feelings in a satopradhan (elevated) way. Transform feelings which are colored by our “pre-BK” lifestyle into something beautiful. Love to God is not in opposition to other types of love. Love to God will teach us the proper way to love others.
3) Spend time in Nature. This is the time to become sensitive and sensible. Let Nature open your heart to beauty. Sounds, colors, smells, sensations are all beneficial to be in balance with the unnatural ways of our “modern society” built upon “cement and isolation.”
4) Embrace the arts. Take up any artistic endeavor that fits your personality. This is a good way to emerge Golden aged sanskaras .
5) If medicine is needed for the body/mind connection, always go with something Natural first. Avoid “secondary effects” and “cure all” pills from your friendly drug store as much as possible. Many times, old “Grandma’s remedies” will work.
6) Take vitamin B12 to supplement your diet. Vegetarian diets are supposed to be complete in itself but given the circumstances of abuse of Mother Earth, what we obtain is not complete with all nutrients. Find for yourself different methods to improve your eating according to our code of conduct.
7) If looking and feeling healthy is appealing then avoid eating starches, white rice and all sorts of white flour.
8) Use different types of oils in your salads and for cooking. Coconut oil is well known for its properties to help our memory. It may be an “old folk tale” and not “scientifically proven” but try it and see.
9) Before going to sleep, slow down and take a brief walk, breathe in and out and relax yourself. Yoga and the quality of your sleeping will feel better, afterwards.
10) Use the sunshine as a natural way to revitalize the self. Early morning hours for a few minutes. Gazing at the sun while moving our head side by side in the early hours is a good way to keep our vision stimulated. The ophthalmologist may say that this is not true. Try it and see.
The water of the Ocean, will revitalize you right away. When you are charged with “negativity” go for a swim.
11) Practice pranayama and hatha yoga on a regular basis. Those 2 types of exercises are all that is needed to keep the body healthy. Use the early morning hours for this.
12) Smile, sing and dance.
13) Cook your own food. Even if a BK is cooking for you.
14) Enjoy life. Even if you think that it is “hell-ish.” Living is experiencing. Change your vision on that and learn a different way. This is the only time you have.
15) Enjoy solitude and silence on a regular basis.
16) Be yourself. Dare not to be “normal.”