1) Duality is certainly explained through this. This physical world changes due to the forces of duality. It is the Yin and Yang in action. Usually Eastern thought is ahead on this. In Abrahamic traditions there is nothing like this as acceptance of duality and its manifestation, but rather it is the continuous fight of “good against evil.” In other words, there is “choosing” which needs to happen at every moment. However, as expressed before, that “free will” cannot be exercised as what we are right now, is not solely a product of our “free will” but rather, other elements such as our birth parents, birth place, traditions, experiences, beliefs and intelligence which come into the picture to make up what today is known as “me.” That “choosing” depends on those factors which color our belief of what is good. For instance, back in the times, it was believed that “slavery” was “good.” Our “free will” to choose slaves was tinted with that belief. Now, we know that “slavery” is not good. This is why our “choosing” is not an indication of morality, of being “close to God, ” etc.
2) Life experiences as a process. This is expressed once we see that going “up and down a ladder” means to step in every step that there is. Usually we think in terms of “absolutes.” I am here, on the first step of the ladder; but tomorrow, I will be up at the top. We forget everything in between and forget about the “journey” by just concentrating on the “goal.” Every moment is the foundation for another one. Baba does not say the word “process,” but he talks about that “it takes time to go from Tamopradhan to Satopradhan.” Same thing, different expression.
3) Entropy: This is the process of “descending.” Every being on the physical plane will experience this. A baby gets old. That is higher entropy. As we take rebirths, our next birth will be of lesser quality than the previous one. “The old days were better days,” is an expression which expresses this experience. The soul feels that lack of peace. This is not a matter of having new technology available or more money/power.
4) Angels are the ones going up and down that ladder: This dream of Jacob has a greater significance. He didn’t dream about “human beings” going up and down. He dreamt about angels. What is the difference?
Only angels are capable of “going up.” There is no “normal” human being who is experiencing entropy that would be able to “go up,” because to “go up” is not what “normal people” do.
In BK knowledge we understand that “doing good and being a good boy” it doesn’t mean to just do “good actions.” It means to transform our sanskaras. It means to transform by “dying alive.” This is something that a “normal” person will not be able to do. Their capacity is different. For them, spirituality is just a matter of going to some church/center, praying and confessing “sins.” For a BK is about self-transformation, it is to be a “new,” human being. That takes a lot of guts.
5) Going up those ladders takes less time than coming down. That is why the “confluence age” is so important, because it is the same ladder with 84 steps to come down, but those 84 steps to go up need to be earned now, in such a little time. However, as we know, time is not a consideration for a soul. The soul only records growth, not the time that took to become something “higher.”
6) Going up and down is the story of this world. The story of this comedy of life that is why we need to learn to enjoy the “ups and downs.” Going up means to come down. Nothing new.